Marie-Christine Daignault | Desjardins Group
Fees for late payments, private ATMs and NSF cheques are the easiest to avoid.
You can eliminate them for good by taking some simple steps.
Your challenge: eliminate unnecessary transaction fees.
Step 1: Review the last 2 monthly statements on your regular accounts.
Step 2: Determine costly mistakes like:
- Late payments
- Transaction plan is insufficient for your spending habits
- Insufficient funds (NSF)
- Withdrawals from private ATMs or ATMs belonging to other financial institutions
Step 3: Implement a strategy to avoid these habits—and the resulting fees—by following our advice.
Step 4: Enjoy your newfound peace of mind and the resulting savings and do something more enjoyable.
Step 5: Stick with it—it takes 21 days to form a new habit.
7 tips to get there
- See if your plan matches your spending habits or if you’re eligible for a no-fee account.
- Consolidate your accounts whenever possible.
- Plan your cash expenditures to avoid unnecessary ATM withdrawals.
- Automate recurring bill payments to avoid late fees.
- Use direct deposit whenever possible.
- Cover your personal chequing account if there are insufficient funds.
- Be honest and realistic with yourself to avoid budget traps.
We give you this challenge to encourage you to develop new micro-habits. Without even realizing it, you can save a lot of money—and often faster than you think!