Marie-Christine Daignault | Desjardins Group
April is the time to start thinking about summer vacation. If you're like most families, coming up with ideas is easy; the hard part is sticking to your budget.
Here are the main expenses you'll want to plan for, so you can save yourself financial stress this summer.
- Adjustments before you hit the road
- Extras if you're travelling in a trailer or RV
- Public transportation
- Good to know: To mark Canada's 150th anniversary, admission to Canada's National Parks will be free in 2017.
- Hotel/hostel, cottage, condo
- Good to know: You might get a discount for certain types of accommodations if you stay for several consecutive nights.
- Good to know: It's essential that you contact your insurance company.
Things that are often overlooked
- Insurance: Let your auto insurer know if you're crossing the border.
- Travel insurance: Find out what coverages you have, or could get, if you're travelling within or outside the country.
- Medications: Plan on bringing your regular medications, and don't forget to pack a first-aid kit tailored to your destination.
- Emergency fund: Set aside some funds to cover unexpected expenses--both pleasant and unpleasant.
You might also like: