LEVIS, QUE. - Desjardins General Insurance Group (DGIG) has released its 2018 Public Accountability Statement. The statement highlights DGIG initiatives that supported the economic, environmental and social well-being of clients, employees and communities in 2018.
"As one of Canada's largest property and casualty insurance providers and a subsidiary of Desjardins Group, Canada's largest financial cooperative, we believe it is our duty to place social responsibility and sustainable development at the heart of what we do," said Valérie Lavoie, DGIG's President and COO. "Inspired by the cooperative values of Desjardins Group, we're committed to contributing to the well-being of people and communities."
Highlights from 2018
- Our commitment to our communities - In 2018, Desjardins Group committed $94,400,000 to charitable donations, sponsorships, philanthropic partnerships and scholarships, $3,568,000 of which was contributed directly by DGIG.
- The Canadian Red Cross - At DGIG, we believe it's important to provide significant financial support to communities recovering from accidents or natural disasters. That's why we contributed a total of $170,000 to the Red Cross in 2018 alone, including $50,000 to help families evacuated after the St. Charles River overflowed in Quebec City and an additional $50,000 to help families affected by the Ottawa-valley tornado.
- The Desjardins Foundation - In 2018, DGIG contributed $187,000 to the Desjardins Foundation, Desjardins Group's charitable organization dedicated to encouraging youth to succeed academically and in other ways.
- Traffic Injury Research Fund - In addition to supporting the Traffic Injury Research Fund by raising awareness about road-safety research, DGIG also provides funding to the organization each year to aid in their efforts to reduce the number of accident related injuries and fatalities on our roadways.
- The Desjardins Disaster Relief Fund - DGIG created the Desjardins Disaster Relief Fund to support our policyholders and Desjardins Group members in Quebec who are affected by disasters not covered by their insurance. In 2018, we provided a total of $65,000 to 90 members and clients through this program.
- Employee Contributions - Last year, more than 1,220 DGIG employees participated in our Outreach Program, volunteering a total of 4,456 hours of their time and raising more than $24,700 for a wide-variety of charitable organizations across Canada.
- Supporting Sustainability - DGIG's subsidiaries offer discounts on car and home insurance for clients with fuel-efficient, hybrid or electric vehicles and those who live in LEED-certified buildings.
For more information on these and other initiatives, please refer to DGIG's Public Accountability Statement: https://www.desjardinsassurancesgenerales.com/a-propos/responsabilite-sociale?Region=Ontario&Langues=Fran%C3%A7ais&_ga=2.62666538.741989503.1570736029-1259738981.1569946625. DGIG and its subsidiaries are part of Desjardins Group and DGIG's initiatives represent an integral part of the Desjardins Group Social and Cooperative Responsibility Report.
About Desjardins General Insurance Group
Founded in 1944, DGIG is a subsidiary of Desjardins Group, Canada's largest financial cooperative. Through its subsidiaries, DGIG offers a line of P&C insurance products and complementary services to more than 3-million customers across Canada